Thursday, June 23, 2011

hmm....something different?

Oops again. Have been busy with changes at work (plus my birthday was in May). I have kept up the running, but the blogging suffered.

Slacked off a bit in May - averaged only two runs each week. But then on 5th June I ran a PB. 10km in 59:15 - at Flemington. It was an Athletics Vic event - quite serious...I wasn't quite last. It was a good run, three laps being around the carpark, lake and up the hill. A bit too serious for me but I'm glad I did it. Not everyday you get to run at Flemington!

Since then I have managed three runs per week, plus my cross training exercises twice a week. I need to keep this up because I've entered the Half-Marathon on 17 July - just three weeks away now. The photo is my race number.

My problem is that I just have one running speed; I have been more concerned about distance and finishing than speed. I have been thinking about seeing a personal trainer, but instead tonight I tried something a bit different.

My normal weeknight run is 5km which I finish in 31 to 33 min. Tonight I divided it into thirds - the first being warm up (slight incline, but mainly flat, crossing a few roads including traffic lights). The flat middle third I tried to run fast, and the final third (small hills) at normal speed. Finished in 32min which was pleasing because I had to wait at the lights. I can feel the extra effort in my legs - not aching but can feel I have used them - feels good.

I have had a few twinges in knees and ankles but nothing serious.

Next long run on Saturday, and another long run on Monday - I have a day off work - so looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment