Sunday, May 1, 2011

Catch up and new goal

Oops - I got out of the habit of blogging each week, but I have a new goal to motivate me now.

A quick catch up: took it easy before the Run for the Kids, one 5km run on the Wednesday evening, and exercised on the Monday and Thursday nights. Stayed in the city on Saturday night so that I didn't have to travel on the Sunday morning of the run.

Sunday was a beautiful, cool, clear morning, gorgeous Melbourne weather. Over thirty thousand people took part in the runs - and we all queued for the toilets and bag-drop. So the start was delayed until after 9.30am but it then went very smoothly.

I had a good run - the first part was challenging because there were so many people - 18k in the 14km run, so it was slow and careful. Once we got through the Domain tunnel and out on the freeway we spread out a bit which made it easier to pace myself. The ramp onto the Bolte bridge was a challenge - it is much longer than you think when driving it - but I ran all the way, and felt good. Then it was the home stretch, back via Docklands to the city, and finish at the Domain. A good run, still had energy at the end. Finished in 1:29 which I am happy with considering the crowds.

My hips were sore the next day from the hill work, so I exercised and ran on the Wednesday. A fairly normal 5km in 33min despite quite heavy rain - but no wind and not cold so it was managable.

Now we're up to Good Friday 22/4. I slept in and then went out for a run mid morning. Not a good one. Cramps in the middle of the Moonee Ponds Creek 9km, so I had to stop for a while, was ok when I got back into it, but I didnt record the time.

Easter Sunday I drove to Princes Park and did four laps. Another good run. Thats 12.7km and took me 81min.

The following Tuesday was a public holiday too so I managed another run - Moonee Ponds Creek again - but this time a good run, 58 min with no aches, just a few twinges.

Exercised again on Wednesday night, but then stuff happened so I didn't get to run again until today.

Once more I slept in, then Princes Park, for what is now my regular four laps - in just 80 min today. I'm shading a bit of time each week, pleased with that. The run felt good too.

So, my new goal - the Run Melbourne Half Marathon on 17/7/11 That's eleven weeks away. I need new shoes soon so I can have them broken in by then. And a training program.

This week I have a couple of days in Brisbane for work - hope to get a run in while I'm away. Then into a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment